Roberto de Jesús Escobar Gaviria (born January 13, 1947), nicknamed El Osito (Little Bear), is the brother of the deceased drug kingpin, Pablo Escobar, and the former accountant and co-founder of the Medellín Cartel, which was responsible for up to 80 percent of the cocaine smuggled into the United States
Folding phones were the latest and greatest thing in 2019, and the pull is so strong that even drug lords are getting in on the action:
- Robert Escobar (Pablo Escobar’s brother) has released a Royole FlexPai-esque folding phone called the Escobar Fold 1, available now for as little as $349.
- “I have told many people that I would beat Apple and I will. I cut the networks and retailers, to sell to customers phones that can fold for only $349, phones which in stores cost thousands of dollars by Samsung and others. This is my goal, to beat Apple, and by doing it myself like I always have,” Escobar told Digital Trends.
The phone, which is surprisingly/suspiciously cheap for a folding phone, also has a surprising amount of thought put into it.
- The build is plastic, which Escobar claims makes it “nearly unbreakable” as opposed to Samsung’s offering, which was has overcome early issues.
- It features a 7.8-inch flexible AMOLED FHD+ display when folded. Like the FlexPai, it doesn’t fold completely flat. When unfolded, the screen doubles in size and features a 4:3 aspect ratio.
- The promotional video for the Fold 1 is filled with Russian supermodels in lingerie (for some reason?), so needless to say it’s absolutely not safe for work.
- As you’d expect, keeping activities on the phone safe from authorities is a major concern with the Fold 1, with Escobar promising that ‘unlike Samsung and Apple’ his company won’t release your information to any government around the world.
- The Fold 1 packs an undisclosed Qualcomm Snapdragon 8-series processor, a 4,000mAh battery, and two cameras with 16 and 20 megapixels.
- The phone runs Android 9.0 Pie, is unlocked, and supports ‘all networks worldwide’.
- There’s even dual nano-sim support.
- The first run is “limited” to 100,000 units, so in theory, you’ll need to act fast if you want to get your hands on one of the strangest smartphones in recent years.
There are two models available, and both come with a custom case and free shipping:
- 6GB/128GB model: $349.
- 8GB/512GB model: $499.
And there’s no saying what will happen if you do hand over your money! Not that you can, because the site is currently a mix of both up and then suddenly down, presumably because people’s interest is too high? (And only their interest, mind you…)
On January 8, 2019 he launched a $50 million GoFundMe fundraiser in an effort to impeach President Donald Trump. After raising $10 million in 10 hours, the page was removed from the GoFundMe platform and he launched the ESCOBAR cryptocurrency token as an alternative fundraising platform.
|Born||January 13, 1947
|Other names||El Osito|
|Occupation||Drug trafficker and smuggler, Co-Founder of the Medellín Cartel, Co-Founder of Escobar Inc, Co-Founder of dietbitcoin|