Governor Oluwarotimi Akeredolu of Ondo State is confident of winning the governorship election and expects the voters to tow the path of Edo citizens by voting him for another term.
“When you talk about what played out in Edo, we have left out a particular thing I believe played out in Edo State and that is continuity,” the governor said during his appearance on Channels Television’s Sunday Politics.
“The people, I want to believe, voted for continuity and I expect people in Ondo State to vote for continuity. That particular factor (continuity) is always left out by many people.”
Akeredolu who is contesting for the Ondo Governorship election under the All Progressives Congress (APC), is hanging his re-election hopes on his performance during the first term.
Governor Oluwarotimi Akeredolu of Ondo State says the people will vote for continuity just like in Edo State.
He is confident of winning the October Governorship poll, saying “God is my father.”#CTVlivetweets#Sundaypolitics pic.twitter.com/LO37qk5Mjy
— Channels Television (@channelstv) September 27, 2020
He believes the people of the state will not want to “experiment” with a new leader as they have felt the impact of his development strides.
“People do not find it easy to run away when they see good performance. People want to go for it; they want a repeat of it,” the APC flag bearer explained.
“You don’t just experiment and I believe the people of Ondo will not play lottery (with the election).
“We have shown the people of Ondo State what good governance is all about and I don’t see them not voting for continuity. ”
When asked about those backing him, the governor said he does not have a “godfather,” and maintained that even during his first time of contesting the poll, he had relied on God whom he described as “my father.”
“All I know is that God is my father. This is the second time I’m running this election and I have always known that God is my father,” he stressed.
Former President, Olusegun Obasanjo on Sunday held a meeting behind closed doors with the Governor of Bauchi State Mohammed Bala.
The meeting took place at the Transcorp Hilton Hotel, Abuja with Mohammed who is the Chairman of the PDP 2020 Election Review Committee, telling Channels Television after the discussion that the group is working to galvanize founding fathers of the country towards the promotion of good governance in the nation.
According to the Governor who had previously had a similar meeting with the former Senate President, David Mark, there is an urgent need to rescue Nigeria from bad governance.
Today, I led a delegation from the @OfficialPDPNig 2019 General Election Review Committee on an advocacy visit to meet with former Senate President, David Mark, GCON. pic.twitter.com/iSgEjOuwbb
— Senator Bala A. Mohammed (@SenBalaMohammed) September 27, 2020
He also explained that the visit to the former Senate President is to intimate him on the activities of the committee and seek his support.
Other persons who attended the meeting include former Governor of Niger State, Babangida Aliyu; former Governor of Jigawa State, Sule Lamido; former Minister of Special Duties, Kabiru Turaki; former Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) Presidential aspirant, Senator Datti Baba Ahmed and some stakeholders of the party.
Today, I led a delegation from the @OfficialPDPNig 2019 General Election Review on an advocacy visit to meet with former President, Olusegun Obasanjo, GCFR. pic.twitter.com/nVJleI0ife
— Senator Bala A. Mohammed (@SenBalaMohammed) September 27, 2020
The convoy of Borno State Governor Babagana Zulum again came under attack earlier on Sunday on his way out of Baga.
Zulum had departed Baga at about 10:30 after a two-day visit to receive indigenes of the town back home after 21 months of exile.
Few kilometres away from Baga, unknown assailants believed to be Boko Haram opened fire on the escort of the governor.
The convoy was being escorted out of Baga by the military who replied the gunshots and cleared the way for the governor.
READ ALSO: At Least Five Security Officials Killed As Boko Haram Attacks Borno Govt’s Convoy
The attack happened barely 48 hours after Borno State Government officials were ambushed on the same route while travelling to Baga to join the governor who had flown in via an Air Force chopper.
Reporters on the ill-fated convoy say sixteen persons were confirmed dead while the whereabouts of an unspecified number of people can still not be accounted for.
Members of the National Union of Road Transport Workers (NURTW) working with the state government’s resettlement committee to clear shrubs from the road for clearer vision, also reportedly disappeared after the attack.
READ ALSO: Zulum Saddened By Killing Of 11 Security Personnel – Spokesman
Zulum said in an interview in Baga before taking his leave, that he is saddened by the lives lost during the Friday attack, and pledged to support their bereaved families.
READ ALSO: Buhari Condemns Attack On Zulum’s Entourage
The governor has since arrived Maiduguri, the capital city after successfully performing the resettlement issue that took him to Baga.
After 10 weeks of undiluted entertainment, the Big Brother Naija Lockdown season has come to a rousing end with Laycon emerging as the winner.
What started off as a stiff competition between 20 housemates ended on Sunday with Laycon – a clear favourite on the show, going home with the grand prize of N85 million (30 million cash prize, an Innoson Motors Jeep and a two-bedroom flat by Revolution Now Properties).
Other finalists included Vee, who was the first to be evicted on Sunday, followed by Neo, Nengi and Dora who was the first runner up.
Before the winner was announced, viewers were treated to entertaining performances from fast-rising stars, Fireboy_dml and Rema and later, 30 Billion Gang mates, Mayorkun and Davido.
How Viewers Voted.
Just like every other reality tv show, the Big Brother Naija Lockdown season was not without its own doses of drama which kept viewers glued to their screens even as the nation battled a pandemic.
From the Head of House tasks to the Friday night games, the lit Saturday night parties, and endless after-party dramas, Kaisha and her ‘origin moments’, love triangles, makeups and breakups, the inevitable evictions and an unfortunate disqualification, fans of the show will have to wait until next year to catch another thrilling edition.
What we will miss?
With each passing week in the house, the housemates were given tasks and challenges which either aimed at testing their resilience, mental and physical prowess or just sparking their creativity.
The tasks also earned them various prizes (ranging from money to gifts, trips and more) from sponsors of the show.
Ozo won an Innoson Motors vehicle, Vee, Nengi and Laycon won a trip to Scottland sponsored by Johnny Walker, Tricky Tee won a trip to Dubai and a year’s supply of Pepsi, while each of the other housemates won monetary gifts during the show.
The Turn Up/After-Party Dramas
Perhaps one of the highlights of each Big Brother Naija season is always the Saturday night parties when fans get to watch their ‘faves’ turn up with some of Nigeria’s finest DJ’s.
This season saw the likes of DJ Big N, Sarz, Dj Lambo and Dj Neptune among others, perform. The housemates partied hard, leaving us with some very unforgettable after-party memories.
The usual culprits included another fan-favourite, Erica; and couple Neo and Vee.
Triangles, Entanglements and the Complicated Love Stories
Another highlight of the show for many was the love stories that developed from the very first week.
Eric and Lilo quickly became an item in the first couple of days, while Neo and Vee did not hesitate to give viewers a lot of ‘couple-goals’ moments.
Shortly after, the triangles and entanglements began to roll in, one of which involved Erica, Kidd and Laycon. Another involved Ozo, Nengi and Prince, and later on, Prince, Tolanibaj and Wathoni and more.
A Message from the winner to his fans
OUR WINNER #Laycon sends his APPRECIATION to us , ICons for the love and support you have shown him. He will never take you guys for granted💡❤️
Laycon is LOVE ❤️ and LIGHT 💡 pic.twitter.com/9sHtIRm2sv
— Scarlet Gomez (@scarletgomex) September 27, 2020
Well, it was a thrilling 10 weeks and we wish the housemates all the best in the new journeys into stardom.
Bayern Munich coach Hansi Flick refused to blame fatigue or his players for Sunday’s shock 4-1 defeat at Hoffenheim in the Bundesliga which ended the European champions’ 23-match winning streak.
Having needed 120 minutes before to beat Sevilla 2-1 in the UEFA Super Cup showdown in Budapest on Thursday, Bayern lost for the first time in ten months, but Flick refused to blame his side’s tired limbs.
“It was clear that we would lose at some point. We’re going to forget this game and still have confidence in our strengths,” said Flick in Hoffenheim as Bayern lost for the first time since December 2019.
“I can’t really blame the team for their dedication and determination. The mentality after the 120 minutes on Thursday was top.
“We’ll tick this game off and prepare to face Dortmund,” Flick added with one eye on Wednesday’s German Super Cup showdown in Munich, which could give Bayern a fifth title in 2020.
Bayern captain Manuel Neuer also refused to blame their crammed fixture list, a knock-on effect of the coronavirus pandemic, with the defending German champions often playing twice a week this season.
“We’re not looking for excuses. This is what awaits us this year. There’s a game every couple of days, we know that and have to accept it,” said Neuer.
Flick rested star striker Robert Lewandowski from his starting side, but Bayern never recovered from conceding two goals in the opening 25 minutes.
First, Hoffenheim defender Ermin Bicakcic, who later went off injured, headed the hosts into the lead, then striker Munas Dabbur chipped Manuel Neuer after a horrible mistake by Munich defender Benjamin Pavard.
A superb strike by Joshua Kimmich from the edge of the area gave Bayern a 2-1 lifeline at half-time.
Having hit the crossbar just before the break, Croatia international striker Andrej Kramaric netted a second-half goal, then converted a late penalty to seal the win and move Hoffenheim to the top of the league.
Bayern are in the unusual position of seventh in the Bundesliga table after the first two matches.
“The table standings mean nothing, honestly”, insisted Hoffenheim coach Sebastian Hoeness, the 38-year-old nephew of Bayern’s honorary president Uli Hoeness who coached Munich’s reserves last season before joining Hoffenheim.
“The win means that we are on the right path, the main thing is that we stay cool, we are still in a process” of developing.”
Bayern forward Thomas Mueller said they will take the defeat in their stride.
“I don’t know any team in sport that has remained undefeated or without defeat for years,” he said.
“Of course, we didn’t want that and before the game I didn’t have the feeling at all that it would happen today. But it happened.
“Now we just have to deal with it, have a good rest and on Wednesday, go straight into the next game.
“We have a very nice opportunity to fight back.