Simona Halep won her first Wimbledon title and kept Serena Williams from winning her eighth.
Halep beat Williams 6-2, 6-2 on Centre Court for her second major title.
Williams was trying to win her record-equaling 24th Grand Slam singles title, but she failed in a final for the third time. Williams lost to Angelique Kerber in last year’s Wimbledon final and lost to Naomi Osaka in the championship match at the U.S. Open.
Williams still holds the record for most major singles titles in the professional era with 23, one more than Steffi Graf. But Margaret Court, who won 13 of her Grand Slam singles titles in the amateur era, has 24 overall.
Halep, who won last year’s French Open title, had only three unforced errors to Williams’ 25 in the final.
Halep also beat young Coco Gauff who took out Serena’s Sister
Simona Halep beats Coco Gauff 6-3, 6-3!
Regardless of how many events Gauff can compete in going forward, she just wants to win.
“I don’t know my schedule right now because I wasn’t expecting to be here,” Gauff told reporters after her loss to Simona Halep. “But my next goal would be to win the next tournament I play. I don’t know what the next tournament will be.”
9jabook Super WordPress Nigeria
- Buchi Emecheta: Google Doodle celebrates prolific British-Nigerian author Feminist Activist – Her Amazing Story
- 8 British Muslims Cycling From London To Medina For Hajj
- What do Italians think of Nigerians ?
- How to fix a Galaxy S8 that won’t fast charge anymore [troubleshooting guide] www.androids.com.ng
- Boko Haram militants have killed a member of the Action Against Hunger, Grace Taku, as well as a driver while three health workers are missing.